CLARENDON: Family speaks highly of man killed in airport incident

CLARENDON: Family speaks highly of man killed in airport incident

December 6, 2019 0 By Horace Mills

Marie Bonnick from Reckford in the Kellits area of Clarendon was gearing up to spent this weekend in St James with her son as well as her son’s common-law-wife and his step-daughter.

The plan, however, has been crushed by tragedy and grief.

Marie’s son, Triston Rose, otherwise called Palmer, reportedly was electrocuted on the job at Sangster International Airport shortly after 1 o’clock on Wednesday morning, December 4.

He was working as a labourer for a company – Wepro Construction Limited, which was contracted to refurbish the airport.

The Jamaica Constabulary Force said Triston, 28, ‘was conducting repairs in a section of the airport when he got caught in a live electrical wire and was electrocuted’.

Triston was to see his mother on Thursday, which turned out to be the day after tragedy struck.

The two, hours before the tragedy, talked about meeting each other.

The mother told The Beacon: “I suffered a lot with my son, so he knows what I have been through with him. Now that he got the chance to better himself and to help me and his two little siblings, he died.”

She has three other children, including two who attend Edwin Allen High School in Clarendon. The other is an adult son living in Kingston. Triston, however, was her first child.

“Triston was a loving child; he loved his family; he would do any work to take care of his family,” the mother declared. “I can’t believe my son is gone; I won’t be seeing him again.”

She further stated that, although Triston spent his latter years in St James, he usually visited his rural community on occasions such as funerals.

His demise, the mother said, has rocked Reckford district and surrounding communities.

Meanwhile, Triston’s common-law wife of three years, Sian Scott, said they both had fun shortly before Triston left home at Rhyne Park in St James to work on the 7PM shift.

“He is not a guy who always talks; he is quiet, but he is a very very very nice guy,” the girlfriend said. “The last moment with him was happy and filled with fun. We laughed and played before he left to work.”

She next saw him lying lifeless at Cornwall Regional Hospital.

“I feel Triston’s head; I feel his hand; I feel his thighs; I feel his belly – he had a little mark on his belly. I open his eyes and turn his head – liquid was coming from his mouth… I was there shaking him – shaking him; nothing,” added the common-law wife, who eventually ended up on the hospital floor crying.

One of Triston’s first-cousins, Temesha Rose, who lives abroad, said the family overseas is also in grief.

“Triston was very nice, kind and jovial. He is missed by all. My heart is hurting,” she added.

Meanwhile, Fitz Bennett, a secondary school classmate of the late Triston, said the Claude McKay High School graduating class of 2008 is devastated by the tragic news.

The batch, including Triston, usually communicates via a WhatsApp group.

“Triston was a jovial person,” Bennett told The Beacon, while disclosing that the graduating class was planning a reunion for next year. That event will never be the same without Triston.

READ: I want justice for my son, Clarendon mom declares

By Horace Mills, Journalist

WE also do obituaries, advertisement, and special coverage of funerals, birthday parties, weddings, and other milestones. Call or WhatsApp us at 876-305-4574 or emaail us at