Guy’s Hill head girl, with 9 subjects, wins major awardJuly 1, 2019
Lower sixth-form student at Guy’s Hill High School in St Catherine, Legecia Angus, is the 2019 recipient of the National Child Month Committee top Academic Achievement Award.
She was chosen from a group of 18 students representing non-traditional high schools across the island.
To qualify for the award, students must attend a non-traditional high school, attain five or more subjects at the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) level, and overcome great odds to achieve those outstanding results. They should also be involved in community service, in keeping with the spirit of volunteerism.
Angus, who was recognised on June 28 during an awards ceremony at Alhambra Inn in Kingston, has been on the school’s Honour Roll since grade seven. She also served as Senior Prefect, and is now the Head Girl.
At the pinnacle of her high-school life, she gained nine CSEC subjects – comprising seven distinctions and two credits in 2018.
Accepting the award, Angus encouraged the other recipients not to think about where they are now, and never to let their circumstances define them.
She attributed her success to her determination and commitment to triumph over adversities.
Meanwhile, the first recipient of the inaugural Academic Achievement Award in 2014, Jaffet McDonald, is also a past student of Guy’s Hill High School, and a fourth-year medical student at the University of the West Indies.
He implored the current recipients to unmask and unleash their greatness. He also encouraged them not to let situations in their lives haunt or stop them from starting again and again if necessary. “Be passionate about your pursuits and use your indomitable spirit to fuel your success,” McDonald further said.
Other recipients of the sixth National Child Month Committee Academic Achievement Awards included:
- Anthony Cato from Kemps Hill High
- Jessica Henry from Denbigh High in Clarendon
- Natalie Cole from Vauxhall High in Kingston
- Aaliyah Gordon of May Day High
- Kasheem Wiseman of Cross Keys High in Manchester
- Jason Brown of Salvation Army School for the Blind and the Visually Impaired
- Tianna Campbell from Mona High School in St Andrew
- Shellion Brown of Tacious Golding High in St Catherine
- Damain Rose of Black River High
- Jenelle Linton of Newell High in St Elizabeth
- Code Clarke of Anchovy High in St James
- Tashema Reddie of Bimmervale High in St Mary
- Samoya Jones of Buff Bay High in Portland
- Kevoy Williams of Troy High
- Sue-Amar Reid of Muschette High in Trelawny
- Shavae Brooks of Grange Hill High
- Joseph McLeod of Petersfield High in Westmoreland
WE also do obituaries, advertisement, and special coverage of funerals, birthday parties, weddings, and other milestones. Call or WhatsApp us at 876-305-4574 or emaail us at email@example.com.