Fight mars game | Dinthill assaults journalist as football dream crumbles

Fight mars game | Dinthill assaults journalist as football dream crumbles

September 29, 2019 0 By Horace Mills

Members of Dinthill Technical High School coaching staff, along with some footballers, put on a disgraceful showing yesterday afternoon (September 28) as their team virtually crashed out of the ISSA/WATA daCosta Cup competition during an encounter with Charlemont High School in Linstead, St Catherine.

The match ended with a 1-1 scoreline, which is the best result attained so far by the once invincible Dinthill Technical, which has lost all three other matches to end up at the bottom of Zoke K on one point.

That school, which made the semi-finals last year and won the overall competition in 1979 and 1981, is experiencing one of its worst seasons, facing elimination in the ongoing first round.

Dinthill took the lead yesterday with a goal from Jehvoune Redman early in the first half. In that first half, the school also suffered a setback when Elijah Siddon was stretchered off the field and taken to Linstead Public Hospital with what is said to be a leg injury.

Charlemont High responded in the second half when Tajaun Wright transformed a rebound from a free kick into an equalizing goal.

While Charlemont celebrated that equalizer, a fight ensued between players from both sides, forcing the referee to dish out yellow cards to the few footballers caught trading kicks and punches.

Before that physical confrontation, members of Dinthill’s coaching staff almost caused a journalist to be mobbed during the halftime break in an area of the playing field where security was lacking.

The journalist first captured photos of the Charlemont team, and then went to where the Dinthill footballers were assembled.

While he started to capture photos there, a member of Dinthill football management team shoved him; coaches from that school also threateningly prevented the journalist from doing his job. Some footballers quickly took cue from their coaches and started to verbally protest against their photos being captured.

Tough-looking thugs surrounding the Dinthill team also started to threaten the journalist with violence.

Those thugs further caused chaos to reign at the Dinthill bench, resulting in complaints from the Charlemont High School team, as well as warnings from the referee.

The referee eventually issues a yellow card to a Dinthill coach who walked onto the field during the match.

The disgraceful display, along with the unusually poor performance of the Dinthill squad, led some spectators to call for the sacking of the head coach.

“The coach is dem biggest problem,” one embarrassed Dinthill supporter openly said.

Meanwhile, a member of the Charlemont High coaching staff was also yellow-carded, but for comments made regarding the refereeing of the match.

WE also do obituaries, advertisement, and special coverage of funerals, birthday parties, weddings, and other milestones. Call or WhatsApp us at 876-305-4574 or emaail us at